top of page

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

We are here to Help! Should you require more information about Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), let us know how we can help by using our contact form

COVID-19 UPDATE: The Government of Canada  has implemented travel restrictions which prohibit some persons from entering Canada, and may require additional documents for those who are exempted from same. As such, please click here to see if you are eligible for travel to Canada. 

Foreign nationals who want to visit Canada are first required to obtain a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) – a selection which depends on whether a person is from a visa-exempt or visa-required country. Foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries may apply online for an eTA—a process which takes a few minutes to complete — and pay the required fee of CAD$7.00; a response is usually received within minutes or a few days.  On the other hand, foreign nationals from visa-required countries must apply for a TRV at a Canadian consulate or embassy. 

A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that is placed inside a person’s passport or travel document. It essentially confirms that a person has met the conditions for admission into Canada. A multiple-entry visa—which is now considered the standard issuing document— is usually valid for a maximum period of 10 years or up to the validity of one’s passport, whichever is earlier. Upon applying, a person must be able to demonstrate that they intend on leaving Canada at the end of their authorized stay and that they are not inadmissible. 


Some considerations explored by an officer in rendering a decision include: the applicant’s ties to their home country, their health, the existence of a criminal record, financial stability, purpose of visit, previous visa refusals, and travel history. It is incumbent on all individuals applying for a visa to provide accurate and sufficient documentation to satisfy the officer that the requirements for issuing a visa have been met. A simple error, such as inadvertently failing to disclose a previous visa refusal, could invite an adverse finding of misrepresentation, barring an applicant from visiting Canada for 5 years.  


Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers are mandated to determine the duration of the visit when a visitor arrives at the port of entry, although entries are routinely granted for a period of up to 6 months. If the applicant decides to stay in Canada longer due to a change in circumstances, they may consider applying for a Visitor Record. 

bottom of page